We purchased three baskets again this week, so once again, I brought a LOT home with me.
Pictured is the produce from ONE basket. I describe the total for all three though (which cost me $46.50)
- 4 1-lb package of strawberries
- 3 bags of green grapes
- 24 limes
- 30 nectarines
- 27 plums
- 4 enormous mangoes
- 5 bunches of leaf lettuce
- 4 heads of cauliflower
- 3 big bags of green beans
- 16 beautiful tomatoes
- 21 fabulous, huge baking potatoes
What are we going to do with all of this?
- Cauliflower - I chopped up one and declared it "free food" so the kids are free to munch on it whenever they want. I made spaghetti alfredo with another. The other two are in the cooler. I'm probably going to chop 'em and freeze 'em, but I may cut one up for the kids to munch on.
- Lettuce, oh, my. Five of those. That is more than we are likely to get through, let me tell you. I have one washed, torn up, and available in the fridge as "free food" and we are likely to do a couple of salads for dinners. I also bought bacon, as I am thinking BLTs tomorrow for lunch.
- Green beans - we'll do two dinners, and I think I'm going to get the other bag frozen.
- Potatoes, well, we always have 30-40 pounds of potatoes around, so these will be used somehow. These are great baking potatoes, so if it is cool enough some evening, I may bake a bunch.
- Tomatoes -- besides the BLTs, these are just a staple and will get used.
- Limes -- I'm looking at making up some limeade concentrate.
- Mangoes will be the basis of some smoothies this week.
- The rest of the fruit will probably just be eaten. I may can some nectarines. I'll probably can some nectarines.
yummy! I wish we had Bountiful Baskets here. we do have a place called "the terminal" that sells produce to local grocery stores. they will let individuals buy in bulk, so one of our co-op moms goes about once a month or so and then we all divide up the food. I usually come home with more than we can eat for about $20!
I have to say, I'm SOOOOO jealous of your Bountiful Baskets program. Especially with Dave's juicing (he did SO GOOD on vacation). It's not Biblical but, yeah, I covet your BB produce. Enjoy!
Post a Comment