That being said, it was a wonderful basket today, and amazing volunteers and wonderful participants.
Check out the photo of one of my baskets:
Included in my TWO baskets:
- 4 fennel
- 4 romaine lettuce packages
- 16 red onions
- 4 yellow squash
- 2 6 oz packages blackberries
- 15 bananas
- 10 Asian pears
- 12 persimmons
- 2 pineapple
- 2 personal size watermelon
I also got a 40 pound box of Honeycrisp Apples and a 25 pound box of tomatoes. One thing I love about the Honeycrisp apples is that I paid about HALF of what they are on sale for at Sprouts this week. And they are big and gorgeous.
What will I do with this stuff?
- bananas, Asian pears, pineapple and watermelon will simply be eaten. As will the lettuce.
- With the blackberries, I want to do something fun and special, but honestly, they'll probably just be eaten too.
- Persimmons will probably mostly be dried. We'll see.
- Fennel -- I foresee a whole lot of potato-fennel soup. Of some sort. Yum. I love fennel, and never would have discovered it without Bountiful Baskets.
- Squash -- we've been adding it to spaghetti and such. Maybe I'll do up a chunky veggie-rich spaghetti sauce to can.
- Onions -- we have an awful lot of onions right now. Some will get canned with the tomatoes, I am positive. Some will just be used in making meals.
- but I'm considering dehydrating a few onions also, because I really want to be able to use them but there are just too many around.