So I set the alarm for 4:45... and woke up at 4:25 instead. Decided to get up and get going. I have been doing Bountiful Baskets every other week since the second weekend in June... and I have never managed to volunteer before. I just couldn't bring myself to drag my teen/tween boys out of bed that early. So, since they did not have to come with me today -- they are at a cooking campout for Scouts -- this was the day.
Volunteering is FUN. I am SO going to continue to get up and do this every chance I get. My site is almost exactly an hour drive, and volunteers are to be there at 6:00. I did NOT like driving in the dark... hopefully the Peyton location opens soon and is later in the morning. I did hear this morning that they have done all the training, so any time now... and the Volunteer Site Coordinator is a homeschool mom...
Anyway, this time, I only got 1 regular basket. But I also got a 25# box of Roma tomatoes, and TWO of the new fruit boxes.
Wow, wow, wow. I took different pictures this time. Because I had people asking me about the containers I haul this stuff home in. Back in June, I saw these "bags" at Walmart, and just had to have them. I use one for veggies and one for fruit. Love 'em.
- 2 bunches broccoli
- 8 little cucumbers
- 2 avocados
- 7 yams
- 2 very big yellow onions
- 1 bag of grapes (good sized)
- container of figs (8 total)
- 8 bananas
- 4 Bartlett pears
- 5 gala apples
- 5 huge prune plums
- 3 Asian pears (they look like yellow apples)
- 3 nectarines
- 2 gala apples
- 2 pears (the label on the box says bartlett, but they are the Asian ones)
- 8 kiwi
- 4 prune plums
- 2 Ging Gold Apples (according to the box label)
- 2 Peaches
- 4 Bananas
- 3 Tangelos
- 2 Oranges
- 1 bag of Grapes, a bit smaller than the one in the regular basket
- I'm hoping there are enough cucumbers to do up some pickles. Otherwise, I need to decide what to do with those.
- Onions will go with the others we have around. Those always get used.
- I bought some tomatillos and will be doing up some salsa verde. Loved this last time.
- broccoli will either be eaten with dinners, or I might get some frozen. This recipe looks interesting.
- Tomatoes are turning into spaghetti sauce (along with the onions, most likely), maybe some salsa, and we'll see what else.
- Figs... this cookie recipe was posted on the Bountiful Baskets Facebook page.
- I'll freeze at least one of the bags of grapes.
- And the kids will be eating fruit.