I'll let the official description fill in the details, but one of the attractions for me is that this ONE Bible pulls together the resources from a number of different, amazing Study Bibles out there already. Including the aforementioned Archaeological one.
From the publisher:
The NIV Essentials Study Bible helps you quickly and easily understand, interpret, and apply God’s Word to your life. The variety of features in this Bible presents a multifaceted, exciting format for studying Scripture. There are many different ways to explore God’s Word: question-and-answer studies; detailed in-text study notes; timelines, photos and charts; helpful devotional insights; and profiles of Bible characters. Now you don’t have to choose, because the NIV Essentials Study Bible provides you the chance to explore the Bible using all these study methods and more. With each of these lenses included in one Bible, you will discover how to best understand the essentials of Scripture.This edition includes the entire NIV Bible text with the world’s best notes for learning. It incorporates the finest content, images, and study tools from the most popular Bibles that are loved and used by Bible readers just like you. It features:So what did I think?
- Flyover Lens: Start each book of the Bible with the right perspective from easy-to-read introductions from the popular Essential Bible Companion.
- Unpack Lens: Easily understand and interpret Bible passages with bottom-of-the page study notes and in-text charts from the best-in-class NIV Study Bible.
- Dig Deep, Look Close Lens: Understand the fascinating historical significance of the Bible with articles and photos from the bestselling NIV Archaeological Study Bible.
- Q&A Lens: Get concise, easy-to-grasp answers to your most perplexing questions about the Bible with questions and answers from the beloved NIV Quest Study Bible.
- People Lens: View Scripture from the perspective of the 100 most important people in the Bible with notes for the student of any age excerpted from the timeless NIV Student Bible.
- Guided Tour Lens: Get a bird’s eyes view of Scripture with a Guided Tour, also excerpted from the category-leading NIV Student Bible.
- Insight Lens: Find meaning in the Bible by reading these magazine-style call-outs from the NIV Student Bible.
- R&R Lens: Reflect & Respond with this quick inspirational focus time, which unveils the sweeping narrative of the Bible as seen in the award-winning The Great Rescue, NIV.
The above description did have me wondering whether this was going to be amazing and fabulous, or if it was going to be overwhelming and cluttered.
The verdict? I love it. This definitely falls on the amazing and fabulous side.
I chose to read through Mark to check out the features. Impressive.
- Each book starts off with an introduction that includes a timeline and great 3D-looking map.
- Then you start reading, and you have all the fabulous Study Bible types of notes you would expect.
- Periodically, there are extra boxes with additional information. In Mark, the first one is a Q&A Lens that talks about differences in details between the gospel accounts.
- The next box is a Dig Deep, Look Close one. Yeah, I like these. These are the ones from the Archaeological Study Bible. This one is about the town of Nazareth.
- The third one is a Guided Tour section. In this case, it is talking about the notoriety that Jesus quickly gained.
- A bit further into Mark, and there is a great map of Jerusalem at the time of Jesus, with lots of description.
The study notes part is thorough, and the added information boxes are sprinkled throughout. In spite of the overwhelming-sounding description, the actual content is comfortable.
I'm enjoying this Bible immensely.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”