So, if you are reading my blog, you get to hear my plans. And maybe make a suggestion or two.
See, as part of my effort to keep things real, I'm going to confess something. I just threw out a whole bunch of yucky produce. Because I haven't been keeping on top of things. That included such amazing things as:
- two heads of leaf lettuce that were nearly unrecognizable
- a very little bit of red cabbage
- two bunches of celery. I probably could have salvaged a bunch of that, but I decided not to try. Sometimes it is just better to let it go.
- About a half-dozen chili peppers that I don't even remember getting.
- 1 very mushy kiwi
- 1 beyond "over-ripe" banana
- 2 red bell peppers
This week, I'm going to make a huge effort to get some things used up, stored, and out of the refrigerator. That means I need to can:
- salsa. This will be limited by the tomatoes I have.
- I might just try a batch of tomatillo salsa too.
- A batch of hot pickled veggies.
- I'm going to try canning chili peppers (get the feeling I have a LOT of chili peppers around, don't you?)
- At least a gallon ziplock of diced/sauteed carrots/celery/onion. If I keep going until I run out of celery, I'll probably be down to a manageable level of onions and carrots.
- And probably freeze some sweet potatoes too. I need to look into how to do that.
- Dicing, partially cooking, and freezing potatoes is needed.
- I'm giving serious thought to freezing some melon for future smoothies.
Someone holler at me if I'm not talking about how I've actually accomplished some of this.