First off, I got the fantastic news that the site in Falcon is set to start next time... October 15. Of course, *I* won't be there. <sob> I'll be attending a wedding in Minnesota. But how exciting that there is going to be a location nearer to me! The one down in Fountain is set to open next time too, and that one is actually also closer.
I volunteered again. This time, I mostly flattened boxes, and I really didn't get a good chance to see what was in the baskets.
Anyway, this time, I only got 1 regular basket and TWO of the fruit boxes.
They are great. I'm so excited. The new fruit boxes are perfect... I end up with enough fruit in my house for my kids, oh, just love them.
So... what we got:
The veggies in my regular basket:
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 6 ears of corn
- 3 red bell peppers
- 3 green bell peppers
- 4 beautiful tomatoes
The fruit in my regular basket:
- 2 cantaloupe (one was from volunteering)
- 7 bananas (that are about perfect for eating now)
- 5 ripe pears (that needed to be eaten immediately after getting this photo)
- 7 kiwi (that will need to ripen)
- 1 package Concord grapes
- a whole lotta lemons
- a good sized package of grapes
- 4 bananas
- 2 grapefruit (and I am very excited about that!)
- 4 pears
- 3 nectarines
- 3 oranges
- 3 Asian pears
- 6 apples (3 each, Ging Gold and Golden Delicious, according to the box)
- The corn will be used at dinner either tonight or Tuesday. Six ears means a full ear for everyone in double digits (10 and up) and a half for the two below that.
- Celery will just get used. We were down to a couple of stalks, so the timing is perfect.
- The lettuce will just get used. Maybe a salad. Maybe in sandwiches. We'll see. One head of lettuce isn't something I have to make special plans for, you know?
- The tomatoes and probably two of the bell peppers are joining some other stuff I have from last week at the CSA and becoming salsa.
- The remaining bell peppers I am going to blanch and freeze.
- Most of the fruit is just going to be eaten. I'm thrilled that some isn't quite ripe, so we ought to be able to spread it out some.
- Grapefruit is going to be my breakfast for the next week.
- One of the bags of grapes is going to be washed and put in the freezer. Or maybe both. Mmmm. Love those itty bitty frozen popsicles.
- Dale wants me to pull out the dehydrator... so I'm going to play with dehydrating some of the fruit.