So, today the truck was QUITE delayed. As in, it showed up about the time our distribution was supposed to be over (so about 1:20 late)
That meant a lot of hanging around. Richard went with me today to volunteer, and he was getting a bit tired of doing nothing.
Here is one of my two baskets:
Yummy, huh? Between my TWO baskets, I had the following:
- Three butternut squash
- Two heads of romaine lettuce
- Three bunches kale
- Eight onions
- Two bags of grapes
- Two pineapples
- Six Asian pears
- Four pomegranates
- Ten bananas
- Bananas, Asian pears, and grapes will just be eaten during the week
- Pomegranates will be paired with some of my Granny Smith apples from last week to make Pomegranate-Apple Crisp. I'll freeze some of the filling for that too. Actually, my teens will. They do a great job with this recipe.
- Pineapple, well, we've still got most of the pineapple from two weeks ago (and last basket) and that is just getting ripe. I'm going to be freezing a LOT of pineapple
- Onions just get used. Don't really need to make plans.
- Lettuce -- oy. We keep trying to get ahead of all the lettuce coming into the house. Salads. Lots of them.
- The kale will be dried. I crumble it up and add it to all kinds of things -- scrambled eggs, soups, casserole, spaghetti sauce, etc. I love getting kale now.
- Squash -- we've got four meals worth of that now. We'll probably spread that over the next 4-5 weeks.