That being said, it was a wonderful basket today, and amazing volunteers and wonderful participants.
Check out the photo of one of my baskets:
Included in my TWO baskets:
- 4 fennel
- 4 romaine lettuce packages
- 16 red onions
- 4 yellow squash
- 2 6 oz packages blackberries
- 15 bananas
- 10 Asian pears
- 12 persimmons
- 2 pineapple
- 2 personal size watermelon
I also got a 40 pound box of Honeycrisp Apples and a 25 pound box of tomatoes. One thing I love about the Honeycrisp apples is that I paid about HALF of what they are on sale for at Sprouts this week. And they are big and gorgeous.
What will I do with this stuff?
- bananas, Asian pears, pineapple and watermelon will simply be eaten. As will the lettuce.
- With the blackberries, I want to do something fun and special, but honestly, they'll probably just be eaten too.
- Persimmons will probably mostly be dried. We'll see.
- Fennel -- I foresee a whole lot of potato-fennel soup. Of some sort. Yum. I love fennel, and never would have discovered it without Bountiful Baskets.
- Squash -- we've been adding it to spaghetti and such. Maybe I'll do up a chunky veggie-rich spaghetti sauce to can.
- Onions -- we have an awful lot of onions right now. Some will get canned with the tomatoes, I am positive. Some will just be used in making meals.
- but I'm considering dehydrating a few onions also, because I really want to be able to use them but there are just too many around.
Do you have extra freezer space? If so, chop and freeze the onions to sauté in recipes as you need later.
Post a Comment