Some of the tips given by Dr. Alan Greene for protecting your children's health:
Optimize the immune system
- Reap the benefits of probiotics like those found in yogurt. A recent study showed that children who received enough probiotics daily throughout the cold and flu season had a significant reduction in the number of illnesses they had and, when they did get sick, the symptoms were both milder and didn't last as long.
- Be sure your child is getting plenty of vitamin D from the sun, from food, or from a supplement.
- Build a strong foundation. Good food, good sleep, and good physical activity all help the immune system to flourish.
Be wise about reducing unnecessary exposure to harmful germs
*Refer to disinfecting product labels for full details
- Teach children the key times to clean their hands in the classroom. The most important times include after sneezing, coughing or using the restroom, upon leaving "high-risk" places (recess, naptime, play stations) and before meals or snacks.
- Sixty percent of teachers surveyed said that they request that parents donate disinfecting wipes to the classroom. Seventh Generation´s disinfecting wipes kill 99.99% of germs* naturally using the active ingredient thyme, a component of thyme oil which is derived from the herb thyme.
- Stress the importance of not touching their eyes, nose or mouth. Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Demonstrate to your children how to cover their mouth and nose for every cough and sneeze. This simple maneuver has spectacular results in decreasing the spread of viruses and bacteria floating about the room, waiting to be inhaled.
So today, now that I am back to feeling better, I grabbed the disinfecting wipes and the disinfecting multi-spray and started cleaning. I have no idea if the Seventh Generation product is actually killing 99.99% of the germs, but I can say it smells nice, and the wipes are softer and nicer to use than other cleaning wipes I have tried.
I feel like I've done something to help keep us healthier.
So what do you do to keep your family healthy and germ-free? Let me know in the comments for an entry to win your own Seventh Generation Back-to-School kit.
For additional entries, you can:
- follow me with Google Friend Connect (if you were already a follower, that's two entries!)
- post about this giveaway, and tell me where you did so
Disclosure: Seventh Generation provided me with the free product, and the gift pack to giveaway, through MyBlogSpark. I was not required to write a positive review.