- The Bible. Duh. Everyone who reads my blog, or who has even just read this little series of blog posts, know that would be first. And preferably this would be something like the ESV Study Bible, something with lots of extra notes.
- My son's Boy Scout Handbook. Because this is a desert island, and I have to assume I'll need to tie knots, build shelters, lash things together, and do some first aid.
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I'd get the all three books in one volume version, thank you. The reason I've never read these books is because I know I just don't have the time to read them all, and if I start, I'd need to keep going. On a desert island, after I lash together a shelter and figure out how to build a fire, I'll have some time. Right? Otherwise, this whole list is pointless.
- The Story of Painting by Sister Wendy Beckett. Not only could I actually learn something of art history, but there would be great pictures to look at too.
- Okay, this one is tough. Part of me thinks I'd want something like J. M. Robert's History of the World. Part of me thinks I'd need some Jane Austen. Part of me thinks I'd want something totally fluffy. But I think I'd end up with something like Robinson Crusoe, just to remind myself that others have survived being alone on a desert island... I don't know, tomorrow I might have a different answer.
Saturday, October 9, 2010
Great Books Week: Desert Island and Only Five Books
Yikes, well, I know at least a couple of these I can figure out quite easily. I think my theme here is "quantity AND quality."
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
I totally agree with your first 3. And winding up with Robinson Crusoe on 5 I think was a wise move, and I think I might do the same. I may join in later today. I'm thinking on this one. Very interesting topic.
Our lists are almost the same! I was even thinking similarly to you for my #5. I almost put "Swiss Family Robinson" for the same reason that you put Robinson Crusoe. :) How funny!
Andrea-- I loved your list :) Great minds, great books...
Congratulations, Debra! NAIWE's official feline representative selected your name as the winner of the $20 Amazon gift certificate for writing on all five topics.
I enjoyed reading your posts-- thank you for participating!
Post a Comment